Family Newsletter: November 2014
Dear Chacon Families,
As I mentioned to the teachers and staff in my last Weekly Bulletin, it’s amazing that we are already into the month of November. It is now time to begin wrapping up the first trimester, and soon we will be having parent conferences to meet and discuss the progress of the Chacon students. Below is an update on some of the events, activities, and matters happening at Chacon.
- Chacon Website: The Chacon Website is now live. Please be sure to visit http://chacon.scusd.edu or link to the site through the district website. The Chacon website is also available in Spanish and other languages. Simply go to the upper top left of the website, click the “Select Language” pulldown, and click the language of your choice from the menu. A separate sheet has been included for your assistance.
- Lifeskills: Our Lifeskills focus for November are Problem Solving and Caring.
- Parent Conferences and Shortened Days: Teachers will soon be contacting families regarding meetings for Parent Conferences to discuss the academic progress of their children. The conferences will be scheduled from Thursday, November 13 through Friday, November 21. During that same time, school will be on a shortened day schedule with our normal start time of 8:10a and ending time of 12:40p for grades 1 – 6. Kindergarten will have the same ending time of 12:10p.
- Budget 2015-2016: Although it seems early, now is the time that I begin collecting input from families, teachers, and staff regarding our budget for the next school year. Please complete the Family Input Form (FIF) with your thoughts on spending priorities for 2015-2016.
- Caring for Our Community: A Health Event for the Whole Family: Thank you to Richard’s father, Mr. Juan Gutierrez and his company RYL Jumpers for donating the rental of tables for the event. It saved a lot of money and time for the event. Also, I would like to apologize to the families that came out for the flu shots. There was a commitment of over 200 flu shots for the event, and I was notified on the morning of the health event that they would not be available. I hope that the other services and resources helped to make up for the inconvenience.
- SJUMC Free Lunch Last Saturdays: Our first Bowling Green free lunch was on October 25. The next free lunch will be on November 29. Please be sure to honor the church by showing up if you sign up.
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA): The next PTA General Meeting will be December 2 at 2:15p. One of the agenda items will be spending priorities for the 2015-2016 school year.
- English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC): The next Chacon ELAC meeting will be Thursday, November 20 at 12:45p. One of the agenda items will be spending priorities for the 2015-2016 school year. Food and childcare will be provided.
- Enrichment Programs: Chacon is currently participating in an intramural indoor soccer league and is currently 3 – 1. We are scheduled to join a basketball league in January with tryouts in December. Also, the Girl Scout program will begin on Wednesday, January 14. Information regarding the program will be sent home in the next two weeks. Next for consideration will be music and dancing.
- Other upcoming events, activities, and matters: November 11 (Veterans Day – No school), November 13 – 21 (Parent Conferences/Shorten Days), and November 24 – 28 (Thanksgiving Break)
Jack L. Kraemer Principal